If you want to learn to run your best while feeling your best, without feeling like you need to be winning marathons or going to the Olympics, I can help.
Let’s start here (check all that apply):
“I’m here because I…”
- want to start running so I can live a healthier, more active life, but I am not sure where to start;
- am a regular runner, and want to learn strategies to maximize my running;
- have been running for some time, but keep getting bothered by soreness or injury, and want to learn how to best prepare my body for running;
- have been following other runners, but they always make me feel like I need to be winning marathons, or running 7-minute miles, or preparing or the Olympics when really I just want to live my life and run better;
Hi, my name is Kate, and I am a Master Personal Trainer and Running Fitness Instructor. That still sounds a bit strange to me, because I am not someone who has been “totally into fitness since forever!” Actually, up until February 2013, I was a couch potato. A naturally thin one, mind you, but a definitely a couch potato. But, then, things started clicking, and I realized I needed to make a change.
So one Sunday I told my husband I was going to buy running shoes, and Monday morning I was up facing the Rhode Island winter chill. I turned on the Couch to 5k app, and I… mostly walked. Ran for a couple feet here and there. It was miserable. But Wednesday morning, I was back out trying again. And Friday. In between running days, I started doing a little resistance work with bands and a kettlebell I bought from Wal-Mart.
Then we moved, and I found an awesome military-spouse oriented boot camp program, so I ended up running 3-4 days a week, and going to boot camp twice a week. All the sudden, I was Miss Fitness. A new woman in boot camp called me “one of the athletic ones”. Me? Really? So when it came time to put all 3 kids in school, I started thinking about having a career after being a stay-at-home Mom for 10 years. What in the world would I want to do? Well, it seemed natural– I want to help other people discover being fit. Not in a “do this only” or “this one thing will work” way, but in a manner of self-discovery like I had.
So I found a certification program (NESTA), and went all in, pursuing their Master Personal Trainer program. And then I kept learning, and found new things to study, like nutrition. After spending some time working as a general personal trainer, I realized that running is my passion, and what I really want to be focusing on, so I added Running Fitness Instructor to my list!
- Master Certified Personal Trainer
- Running Fitness Instructor
- Biomechanics Specialist
- Core Conditioning Specialist
- Functional Training Specialist
- Speed, Agility and Quickness Specialist
- Tactix Certified Instructor
- Certified Online Coach
- Mind Body Fitness Coach
- Kettlebell Coach
- Precision Nutrition Level 1 Coach
I love running, fitness, health, and nutrition, I really do! So much so that I spend my spare time researching, reading, listening to podcasts, and watching documentaries about it, so that I can curate and bring this information to my clients.
So let me be your book nerd! My newsletter, Runners’ Round-up, is getting put together to bring you the important, science-driven, easy-to-apply articles, videos and podcasts, sent to your email with a little insight from myself so you can start taking action to run and feel your best.
I’m not quite there yet, though! Meanwhile, find me on Instagram @kate.fylstra